I write to you during these very uncertain times and on behalf of the whole school community I hope you are all keeping well. As our Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said, we are now in the calm before the storm and we must pull together by staying apart.
With this in mind it is most important that we get the balance between learning and home schooling correct. A lot has been spoken about whether children should or should not participate in home schooling. Having listened to many people and read many articles about it, the decision as to whether the children participate or not rests with you their parents/guardians.
The advice from the school is that no undue pressure should be put on the children regarding schooling. Taking everything into account I wish to draw your attention to the following.
- Every Monday morning at 8:50am for as long as the school is closed your child’s teacher will Aladdin you a week’s programme of work. There will be no obligation on the children to finish the work as the circumstances in each family home will differ especially if the virus comes to our community.
- You will be able to contact your child’s teacher through Aladdin.
- You can contact the school by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The school’s phone number for the duration of the closure is 0863873544.
- There are many educational website available to everyone and the advice is to use them only if you feel that they are appropriate and suitable for your child’s learning.
- For instance if you google search ‘Long Division for a 12 year old’ the information, exercises and youtube explanations are endless and generally age appropriate. The same goes for every aspect and subject of the curriculum.
- Finally I enclose a list of useful websites which has come from the Irish Primary Principals Network for all the children in Ireland. It is free and merely a guide if you wish to use it. http://bit.ly/covid19learningmenu
Please remember that the school is always there to support the children and if you wish to contact us please do not hesitate to do so.
In the meantime take care of yourselves and keep safe.